Terms & Conditions for Comic Con Africa 2020 Virtual Casual Cosplay Competition
The rules as listed below shall be applicable to Cosplayers who are entering the Comic Con Africa 2020 Virtual Cosplay Competition. The said rules shall not be applicable to general Cosplayers dressing up for the convention / Event.
• GES, Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and/or the event organisers are not responsible for any Cosplayers or their props.
• Cosplayers need to be responsible and courteous to other expo / event visitors.
• Comic Con Africa is a family friendly event.
• Cosplays may not exceed a PG -13 rating. If you feel unsure that your Cosplay meets these standards, please contact GES for further information (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Contestants are responsible for all expenses related to competing in the Comic Con Africa 2020 Virtual Casual Cosplay Competition.
• Entrants must provide a written description that the emcee will read during their appearance. This may describe the details of the Cosplay and / or provide a story about the character being portrayed.
You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours spent on the creation, or anything else of interest that might impress the judges and fans. This description is limited to 50 (fifty) words and will not be read should it exceed the said number of words allowed. This must be submitted with the online entry form on (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfCQ4s8gZ0nbW3iZ5XjbItqt4hynZ2IlV0dOVLp14tEu0RgeA/viewform?usp=sf_link).
The content of the description shall be the responsibility of the participant - Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES shall not be held liable or responsible should the content be inaccurate, defaming or infringing on any copyright laws. The participant therefore indemnifies the organiser, Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES against any claims that may arise as a result of the content submitted by the participant.
• Cosplays cannot promote:
o sexual misconduct and / or the incitement thereof,
o alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco,
o firearms / weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing),
o any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous,
o any particular political agenda, hate speech, or similar message.
• Cosplays cannot depict, and cannot itself, be in violation of any law.
• Please refrain from wearing and / or using any substances that may potentially interfere with another participant's Cosplay. If you are wearing body paint and / or make-up, please make sure it will not come in contact with others. Do not bring anything on stage that could damage the other participants’ Cosplays. Do not leave anything on stage at any time before or after your appearance.
• Nudity will not be accepted.
All Cosplays should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence and / or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the judges or Comic Con Africa Staff. Such decisions shall be final. Please contact GES if you have concerns around whether your Cosplay is suitable or not.
By entering and participating in the contest; you indemnify and hold harmless the organiser, Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES for any damages directly or indirectly caused by yourself and / or suffered by you as a result of such participation, including but not limited to injury, illness, allergic reactions or death as the case may be.
• Your Cosplay must allow for movement with only limited assistance.
• Your Cosplay may not impede your ability to get on and off stage. Furthermore, your Cosplay cannot be constructed during the live competition.
• Offensive language of any kind is not allowed— racial and / or sexual epithets or profanity will not be allowed and may lead to removal and immediate disqualification from the competitions and removal from Comic Con Africa.
• No sexual activity or contact, real or implied, will be allowed and may lead to removal and immediate disqualification from the contest and Comic Con Africa.
• Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES reserves the right to cancel, suspend and / or modify the contest, or any part thereof, if any fraud, technical failures and / or any other factors beyond Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES’s reasonable control and that may impair the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by GES SA or Comic Con Africa in its sole discretion. Comic Con Africa reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual if there is evidence of tampering with the entry process and / or the operation of the contest; or to be acting in violation of the official rules of this or any other connected / partner promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES reserve the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES’s failure to enforce any term of these official rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
• Limitations of Liability: Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, typographical errors, printing errors and / or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from any entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, the entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, if it is possible. If the contest, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop and GES or any associated Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random draw from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize(s) offered herein.
• Be clever, not crass! If you think your Cosplay or presentation might be too risqué or offensive, it probably is. If you have a question about your content, please feel free to ask GES if it is allowable.
• Contestants may not use stage time to make any political, religious, sexist, racist, insulting, and / or other demonstrations unrelated to their performance. If this is done it may lead to your immediate disqualification from the competition and removal from Comic Con Africa.
• Providing false information on the registration form could disqualify you. We respect your privacy and won’t use your contact details for anything other than this event. You are protected by your local data protection laws.
• We reserve the right to close registration at any time and / or in the event that the maximum capacity of entries is reached.
• Contest organisers reserve the right to update the rules if needed to abide by external rules and / or due to legal implications, as and when brought to our attention.
• All decisions made by the organisers are final. Comic Con Africa, Reed Exhibitions, Reedpop, GES and sponsors/partners reserve the right to disqualify any entrant on reasonable grounds pertaining to the Cosplay rules, conduct, irresponsible behaviour and / or any other matter we deem plausible.